I am brand new to the world of essential oils, so I have done a lot of research on benefits and how to use various oils. Lemon essential oil is one of the more popular of the essential oils and for good reason. It has a whole host of benefits and uses. It is a highly antibacterial, detoxifying oil and is good for everything from acne to staph infections. Because of it's antibacterial properties and smell, it is an excellent ingredient for making chemical free household cleaners.
I received a bottle of this lemon essential oil in exchanged for my review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
There are literally 100s of uses for Lemon Essential Oil, everything from a few drops in your glass of water to cleaning your house. Below are some of the ways I have used it so far and my results. Note: I am not a health care professional and this is not a replacement for talking to your doctor about any health conditions!
Acne: I am very acne prone, have been my whole life. When I became an adult and it didn't clear up, I pretty much resigned myself to have to fight it the rest of my life. So, I place 2 drops Lemon Oil in 1 oz of Jojoba oil. Massaged it into my face, neck, shoulders and chest. Then wiped it away with steamy hot water. It cleared most of my acne after the first use. I have had no new break outs since I started using this as part of my bedtime routine. I will add that I used the Jojoba oil to clean my face prior to learning about the Lemon oil and while it did help, it did not clear it up completely until I added the Lemon Essential oil.
Ear Ache: I added 1 drop of Lemon Oil to a tablespoon of coconut oil and rubbed it behind my daughters ear and within 10 minutes her ear stopped hurting.
Water: I added 2 - 3 drops Lemon Oil to a bottle of water. Not only does it make it easier for me to drink water, it makes it taste fresh, it also feels more refreshing than plain water.
Aromatherapy: I add 2 drops lemon and 3-4 drops lavender to my diffuser in my bedroom to help purify the air and increase sleep quality.
I am very excited to try more with the Lemon Essential Oil and will add to this list as I do. If you currently use essential oils, please share the ways you have used Lemon Essential Oils in the comments below.
Below are the oils I used and a link to where they can be purchased. **The links in this post are affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.
The Pure Body Naturals Lemon Oil
The Desert Essence Jojoba Oil
Tropical Traditions coconut Oil
Lemon Essential Oil Properties
- Antioxidant – Lemon contains 68% d-Limonene which is a strong antioxidant! Antioxidants fight free radicals, which is important for getting healthy and staying healthy.
- A gentle liver cleanser
- Supports the nervous system and sympathetic nervous system, which is very helpful for mental health
- Cleansing and purifying
- Fights germs
- Supports the skin – use on blemishes, cuts, scrapes and wounds
Application guidelines for Lemon Essential Oil
- Aromatically - Can be diffused or inhaled directly.
- Topically - Can be applied directly to the skin or within a carrier oil, such as coconut oil, for young or sensitive skin. Start with 1 drop to 1-3 tsp of carrier and increase the EO as needed.
- Internally - Can be used in cooking, adding a drop to purified water or taken as a dietary supplement, diluting 1 drop in 1 tsp. honey or 4 oz of non-acidic, non-dairy beverage (not for children under 6 years old and in greater dilution for older children).
- NEAT - Can usually apply the oil without dilution, directly to the skin. However, it's always a good idea to test your own skin first, as sensitive skin types may react. Note: This Oil is photo sensitive, avoid direct sunlight for 12-24 hrs after application to skin.